My radio internet was installed several days ago, and it works great! Among other things, I can now actually play Mars Explorer... With the ability to battle-test networking issues now within my grasp, I have determined to bullet proof Mars Explorer's multiplayer system once and, hopefully, for all. This release is focused on networking reliability, with a couple other features thrown in for good measure.
Please let me know how it works for you!
P.S. Only a webplayer is available, as I don't intend to leave this in beta stage for more than a couple days. Once we have it working great, it will go final.
Update: I just uploaded a new version (refresh to access it) which resolves some issues with ramosphere and tank CG conflicts, and incorporates an incredible idea I received from MacDane this morning: Zorb balls
Update 2: 1.9.76 is now final!
- Networking, internal game object references, tag logic, and vehicle orginization / instantiation code rewritten from the ground up. Should be vastly more reliable!
- Tag has been taken to the next level with RamoSpheres! (I think they were Kruncher's idea, but whoever's idea they were certainly deserves credit for them)
- Various GUI enhancements, including resizing several buttons for dashboard widget display size and reorganizing the buttons at the bottom of the server list screen
- "Exit Game" button is now visible only in native applicatios
- Server name shortened from 60 char max to 45
- Lasers now last for 10 seconds instead of five - much more fun at slowest server laser speeds
- Smart cam is now perfectly smooth - no more "jarring" while your vehicle sails over the top of a parabolic trajectory and the camera transitions from an up to a down lookahead mode
- Lasers pack a bit more punch
- Every laser you fire that hits a non-quarry when you aren't quarry decreases your score by one point. Take that, noobs!
- New server setting for tank tread grip. At low grip levels, the increasingly large torque produced by each tread assembly's motor as your speed decreases while climbing super steep hills will rotate the track and "ratchet" you off the hill
- Tank now has a simplified body to display at low rendering quality levels
- Instead of rewriting the (single player) tutorial map to work with all the new (multi player) networking code, I just removed it. It will probable make a comeback when I get an opportunity.
- Max 300 chars message length