1.9.77 has been finalized. Enjoy!
This release incorporates many new features, enhancements, and bugfixes - among them being vastly improved "ORBs", Eric's maze and a resculpted Foxholes world, and tons of improvements to the internal networking system.
The list server is experiencing difficulties right now (and has been for quite some time), but this is a top priority and should be resolved soon. This version includes a mechanism for me to control what list server everyone's game is pointing to, which will be instrumental in tackling the issue.
I am planning for the next version of Mars Explorer (1.9.8) to focus on complete reliability, Olim's Submarine, Seb's Sky Monster, and FlyClub's suggested list server enhancements.
- Eric's Maze World now available!
This map is small, and action packed.
It is great for XORB tag, hide and seek, and much more!
- Major updates to Foxholes map:
Now includes a lava sea, many more strategic sniper positions, "launch 'canos", exciting new jumps and hills, and more!
- Completely rewritten networked vehicle position interpolation sync code:
This should provide vastly smoother networked vehicle movement, and hopefully less NR (Not Responding) players.
Interpolation, in a networked gaming context, is the technique of maintaining a list of each networked player's recent positions - and then using that list to compute their current display position every frame based upon where they were at a time in the recent past. The delay incurred by this system is scarcely perceptible, but the positional smoothing it provides is immense. To learn more, you can read Unity's Networking Reference and A Discussion on Networked Physics.
- Beginning of Seb's Sky Monster can be found in Freestyle world:
Looking good, but definitley a work in progress.
Seb is enhancing the interior in preparation for the next version...
- Massive improvements to the "ORB" concept introduced in 1.9.76
ORBs have an incredible new "plasma shield" look, are color coded to indicate their state, glow brighter when colliding with terrain or taking laser impacts, animate their size changes, can optionally be hit by lasers, properly tag with each other, and are much more reliable.
- New server setting to rematerialize vehicles when they get hit by a laser.
You can finally stop other players from charging you...
Simple, but it opens up tons of new gameplay potential!
- Slicker buggy collision mesh, for better crash inertia preservation
- Minor tweaks to Buggy flight physics to resolve "nosedive" issues
- Buggy wing states properly sync'd on server entry
- Buggy wings can be used to gain quarry as well as loose it
- List server logic significantly enhanced - Once the master server issues are resolved, finding games to play should be much more reliable
- Player pings and IP addresses are now only visible by server host
- Fixed vehicle initialization sequence preventing buggy tracks from rendering
- Bots correctly reset after falling off world
- Buggy flight auto-leveling now a bit less aggressive, allowing for greater precision while dive bombing other players
- Intelligent web player init preloading to solve initialization related crashes
- B, H, or T now displayed on vehicle badges to indicate their type - suggested by Michael