GTR's jet has been implemented, and you can take it for a spin!
Great job GTR, this is a beautiful model.
Note to everyone: yes, this is really exciting - but please don't submit dozens of comments that contain random characters or repetitive phrases :)
This jet's physics are coded to closely approximate an ultra-modern modern super high performance fighter. It features thrust vectoring, is supermaneuverable, and loves performing the Pugachev Cobra
and Herbst maneuvers
. In addition to being an awesome jet, it also includes a "hover" mode that is similar to piloting a helicopter - allowing you to land it on any rooftop, or cruise with ease and precision through even the most intricate of worlds.
In essence, the other vehicles don't stand a chance :)
I am working on several ideas for weapons systems capable of hitting a jet, and for slight tweaks to game mechanics that will allow the other vehicles to coexist with it.
This webplayer will be updated with new features as I create them.
In the mean time, have fun!
You can always disable jets in your server if you want to have a classical laser tag battle.
The jet is steered with the customary arrow or WASD keys - but there is a new "throttle" input axis for the throttle while in flight and the collective pitch while hovering. The new "throttle" input axis should automatically connect to the throttle on your joystick if you have one - but if not, you can also control the throttle using your Q and E keys. The Space key toggles between hovering and flying. Clarification: You are always at half throttle unless you press Q (zero throttle) or E (full throttle). Half throttle provides the precise amount of thrust necessary to suspend the jet in mid air.
To perform a turn in flight, simply roll left or right and the jet's onboard computers ;) will take care of the details. You can pull into turns for faster directional changes, but if you pull too hard you will stall the wings and they will stop producing lift
All the best,
Other minor goodies:
- SmartCam now follows a bit more aggressively, to help it keep up with the jet
- AeroCam renamed to HyperCam, as it can make you really dizzy in the jet :)
- In order to allow them to keep up with the jet, lasers now inherit the speed of their firing vehicle. Yes, this does violate relativity - I should really call them something other than lasers :) Anyway, this will alter your optimum targeting strategies! Now, when you are driving alongside of someone and want to hit them, you don't need to lead them - as your lasers will move along with the two of you. This also makes it slightly more difficult to hit stationary targets while you are moving parallel to them. Either compensate for it, or move towards or away from whatever you are aiming at.
- Positional resets no longer preserve vehicle rotation and speed, as there were issues with people getting totally lost and stuck :)
- Fixed hypersound, at the expense of disabling audio doppler effect.
- SMOOTH buggy wing deployment animations, based upon some reworked code.