For those of you interested in developing Mars Explorer worlds -
or even your own complete Unity games - I have just finished a preview
of Whirld 3 that you might want to check out:
Whirld preview is distributed as a Unity Asset Package - which can be
imported into a blank Unity project, or a project which already
contains a previous version of the library (in which case each file
will be updated as necessary if it has changed in the newer release).
This is NOT the official Whirld 3 release, and it is nowhere near
complete. The final, official release will include much more - possibly
even full integration with a Whirld bundling webservice depending on
how my negotiations with Unity go. For now, worlds you create that
incorporate this package will still need to be sent to me for bundling
- but by following the best practices exemplified by the worlds
included in this package, you can make my job much easier.
Here's a list of several of the features included in this package:
- Complete physics for latest buggy and jet, and the ability to switch between them while exploring your worlds!
- Dedicated "Controller" that provides quick access to all scenes
defined in Unity's "Build Settings" window. Create your own scene, add
it to the build settings, and you are ready to explore it!
- Complete scenes included - with all source assets - for Foxholes, Levitashia, and Seb's Sky King!
- Full source for the latest Whirld library in Mars Explorer 2.22.
(No documentation yet, so it won't be too useful to anyone but perhaps
- Dedicated Whirld "Resources", including the super cool new Sea
object introduced in Mars Explorer 2. Check out the Foxholes world to
learn how to use it in conjunction with terrain that is automatically
textured with a seafloor on any submerged areas.
- Sample world demonstrating the use of the new animation editor in Unity 2.6. Your worlds can now contain sliding doors, moving spaceships, and more!